Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The First Phone Conversation



As I journey through the world of dating (including online dating) I am struck by how the simplest tasks are the most daunting. Are men as insecure as women? Do they have minor anxiety attacks when the first call is needed to be made?

I have recently been tasked with the "give me a ring sometime". First reaction. Shit. How did this happen to me? Then the negotiations began. I needed to outline the when and how the call would take place. At this point I am thinking I am a total control freak and need to snap out of it. But how do you call up someone who you only know their first name and they only know yours...and to make matters worse we both have extremely common names. So the "Hey John, it's Kathy" does not fly. He could know four other Kathy's or derivations of the name Katherine. And we didn't exchange last names. I certainly do not need a stalker or like the guy who somehow found meon facebook.

So the other night is when I agreed would be the night of the phone call. As I was wrapping up one last review, I was convincing myself it was no big deal to call this person. Needless to say I needed to pace around the entire office floor as I talked to remove the nervousness from my voice during the conversation.

I am glad to report it was fine. I was psyching myself out for no reason what so ever. And even knowing it will be fine, I will still have anxiety in the future with the first conversations and phone calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment